We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, when you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. This adds no cost to our readers, for more information read our earnings disclosure.
In this short tutorial, we’ll show you how to add a dropdown filter to your Tableau dashboard in five easy steps. With a collapsible filter, your users can decide which specific segment they’d like to look at.
How to Add a Collapsible Dropdown Filter in Tableau
1. First, drag your “filter” to the filters section
The first step is to make sure that the dimension/measure you want to use as a filter is dragged into the “Filters” section.
Simply drag and drop it to the “Filters” section.
2. Add your filter to your view (in the dashboard)
When you’re ready, add all your vizes into your dashboard and add your filters by following these steps:
- Select your desired view
- Click on the little down arrow to show more options
- Select “Filters”
- Select the filter you want to use for your view
3. Observe the default expanded filter look
By default, the filter will be added randomly somewhere in your dashboard and will look something like that: expanded.
4. Change it to Multiple Values / Dropdown View
To change it to a dropdown and collapsible filter, you need to:
- Select your filter
- Click on the small icon that shows like an “arrow down”
- Select Multiple Values (dropdown)
- That’s it
5. Adjust its location and enjoy the final look
This is how you add a collapsible dropdown filter to your dashboard.